Awnings and shade structures are used for a variety of residential, commercial and industrial applications. Modern awnings and shade structures offer a variety of benefits, features and functions for home and business owners, and they’ve come along way over time. Read on to learn more about the history of awnings, and then go shopping for awning fabrics in Houston, TX!
The history of awnings
Awnings have changed a lot since they were first invented. People have been building and using shade structures for thousands of years. Here are some of the ways in which awnings have developed and changed throughout history:
- Early civilization: Awnings and shade structured were first used in early civilizations, including in Egypt and Syria. These early awnings were made from woven materials and used to shade market stalls and homes from direct sunlight. The first retractable awning has been traced back to the Roman Empire. This retractable awning, also called a velarium, was used to provide shade for the Roman Colosseum.
- Early to mid-1800s: In the 1800s, awnings made from cotton duck canvas were used in front of business storefronts. Thanks to industrialization, iron plumbing pipes were put to use to create awnings that were affordable, durable and adaptable. Iron pipes could be bent and shaped to fit a variety of different applications.
- Late 1800s: Retractable awnings were popularized in the late 19th These awnings featured a variety of different materials and pulling mechanisms, most commonly a rope and pully system that was used to retract canvas material. These awnings gave business owners the ability to adjust shading as needed.
- 1900s: Throughout the 20th century, awnings continued to change and develop to become more versatile, effective and efficient. Vinyl fabrics replaced duck canvas as the most popular option for awnings. Vinyl was more durable and less prone to fading, wear and tear and mildew development. In the 1960s, even more materials were developed and used for awning fabrics in Houston, TX. Materials like acrylic and polyester were very popular for use in awnings after World War II.
- Modern awnings: Since the 20th century, awnings have become increasingly popular for use across commercial, industrial and residential applications. Awnings are made from a wide variety of different awning fabrics in Houston, TX, with a range of different frame options. New aluminum framing is lightweight and easy to install, while still offering durability and longevity. With a variety of different designs, colors and styles to choose from, homeownerss and business owners have more options than ever when investing in a new awning.
Awning fabrics in Houston, TX
If you’re looking for a new awning or shade structure for your home or business, reach out to ABC Awning Company. For decades, we have been dedicated to providing our customers with the highest-quality products and services available. Our local, family-owned company would be happy to arrange a consultation to help you find the shade structures and awning fabrics in Houston, TX that are right for your needs. Give us a call to find out more about everything we have to offer.