How to Assess Which Carport Repairs Are Needed
If it’s professionally installed, a carport can last for years without needing to be replaced. However, that doesn’t mean it won’t need repairs and maintenance every once in a while. Carports take a beating throughout the years, which means you’ll probably need to perform a carport damage assessment in Houston, TX once or twice. This post will cover a few of the most common types of damage to a carport:
- Hail damage: Hail is one of the biggest natural threats to your car’s hood and roof. Luckily, anyone with a carport is saved from the damage inflicted by those tiny chunks of ice! Unfortunately, your carport won’t be so lucky. After a particularly bad hailstorm, you should check to ensure the roof doesn’t need to be replaced, or at least have the dents removed.
- Leaning: Over time, you may notice your carport begin to lean or sag to one side. This usually occurs when the soil beneath a foundation loses moisture and shrinks. The shrinkage causes the foundation to sink. To fix the issue, you’ll need to hire a contractor to add support structures to the foundation to prevent the leaning from occurring in the future.
- Termite damage: If any part of your carport is made of wood, as many are, you could be the victim of termite damage. Termites eat away at the wood, creating holes that could make the structure unstable. In that scenario, you’ll need to have affected sections of wood removed and replaced to avoid a collapse.
- Wet rot: If your carport has wooden beams, rafters or posts, it could also succumb to a fungus called wet rot. As the name suggests, wet rot causes wood to crumble and decay. The scary part is that wet rot spreads and can eventually take over an entire section of lumber. Just like with a termite infestation, your contractor will need to replace any affected lumber to get your carport back in structurally-sound shape.
Make those repairs right away
All of that carport damage in Houston, TX isn’t going to fix itself, and you need to make repairs sooner rather than later. Here are a few reasons why waiting around is a mistake:
- Appearance: Depending on its location, your carport might be one of the first things someone sees when driving past your home. Don’t leave a bad impression by having a sagging, dented or rotting carport! Fix or replace affected portions of your carport right away to preserve its appearance.
- Effectiveness: A carport’s job is to protect your vehicle from the elements. If it’s leaning to one side, has holes in the roof or is affected by wet rot, the carport won’t be doing its duty. Fix any carport issues right away to protect your vehicle!
- Worsening issues: As mentioned above, most carport damage will only get worse over time. That wet rot will spread to other posts and the leaning will continue until the carport topples over. By hiring a contractor right away, you can prevent the need to completely replace your carport.
Whether you need carport repair in Houston, TX or need to replace it with a new one, call our experts at ABC Awning Company. We have years of experience working with carports of all shapes and sizes, so you know you’re in good hands.
Categorised in: Carport Repair