Which Shading System Is Right for You?
December 4, 2020
Are you in the market for a new exterior shading system to provide you with better shading for the outdoor areas on your Houston, TX property? Whether it’s an awning screen or a new pergola shading system, you’re going to have a variety of options to consider.
Here’s a quick overview of some of the types of shading systems you can employ, and how they can help you transform your outdoor spaces into something more personalized, private and enjoyable:
- Transparent systems: There are a variety of transparent options you can choose that will both provide you with shade while also allowing you to let the sun shine through, and avoid taking away from your surrounding view. Glass covers or walls, for example, are popular for pergolas, but you’ll want to make sure you have retractable awnings attached to the glass to cover up the area if the heat gets to be too much.
- Plant covers: If you want to add some shade to your outdoor area but don’t care as much about rain protection, adding some vegetation as a cover could be an effective approach. People in cooler climates can plant vines that will travel up and around a pergola. You can also hang plants from above to add an extra dimension and feeling of being in a greenhouse or garden.
- Wood slats: While wood slats will not keep the rain away, they’re very stylish and provide a sort of natural feel in comparison to some other options. They can be used as a roof or as a privacy wall.
- Wood paneling: Slightly different from wood slats, wood paneling is another popular option to use as a shading system for outdoor seating areas. You can add some panels here and there to create a little more privacy, and can even use it as roofing.
- Metal: Metal screens and other forms of metal barriers can be used to provide a more industrial or contemporary look to your outdoor seating area, and also make for effective shading options. They’ll be able to deliver the shade and privacy you’re looking for without blocking too much of the light.
- Awnings: If you don’t already have an awning on your outdoor seating area, you should strongly consider adding one. Awnings are designed to be waterproof and to provide some much-needed shade without creating too much darkness in the space. You can have them custom designed to fit your outdoor seating area, and hang them off a building or even off your pergola. They’re highly versatile, and as long as you take good care of them, they’ll last you for many years to come.
- Lined ceilings: Insulated roofing and lined ceilings can be very handy, not just for creating some shade, but also for installing lighting or overhead fans if you wish to do so, as they’ll keep the wiring hidden.
To learn more about your options for shading for outdoor areas in Houston, TX, we encourage you to contact ABC Awning Company. We look forward to helping you figure out what will work best on your property!
Categorised in: Shade Structures