Ready to hit the road in your RV? Knowing when to replace your awning is a key part of your trip preparation. After all, you’ll need it to provide shade and shelter, whether it’s sunny, rainy or snowing at your destination. Awnings usually last about five to 15 years, depending on how carefully you’ve taken care of the fabric and hardware.
What are the signs that you’re due to replace your awning? Read on to discover when to contact your local awning supplier:
- It no longer functions properly: Your awning should extend and retract easily. You shouldn’t have to use brute force (or even push hard) to get it to function the way it once did. It should slide back into position and lock without creating a novel and unexpected workout. If it’s difficult to get your awning to cooperate, it’s time to get a new one.
- The fabric is heavily damaged: Awning fabric can take quite a beating. Be sure to inspect it every time you use it. When there’s mildew, tears, fraying, holes or other damage, it’s no longer prudent to simply patch it up and keep going. Heavy fabric damage will rapidly worsen. When you notice these issues, it’s time to replace your awning. The good news is that with appropriate and regular maintenance, you should be able to space out your awning purchases by at least a decade.
- The hardware needs help: Sometimes the fabric is fine, but the hardware is the issue. Look for dents and bends in the hardware or other misshapen components. If there’s rust or corrosion, that’s a sure sign that your awning is not long for this world. If you notice this kind of structural damage, stop using your awning until you can get it repaired or replaced.
- You can’t adjust the pitch or slide the arms into channels: You should be able to adjust the pitch of your awning and easily slide the arms into their channels. When it stops being a simple task, that’s a sign that you need to replace your awning soon. While you don’t have to stop using it right away, chances are that it won’t hold up much longer.
- It’s unpleasantly out of style: While you don’t need to replace a dated awning, you might want to. After all, you live in your RV for extended periods of time. Why not enjoy the awning that you look at every single day? Sometimes treating yourself to an aesthetic upgrade can enhance your enjoyment. Wherever your RV takes you, you can always choose to go there in style.
Now that you know the signs that you need to replace your awning, be sure to stop by or call ABC Awning Company today. Our team can help you find the right type and style of RV awning for your vehicle. We also supply other covers, from carports to patios. Whether you own a home, business or RV, we have what it takes to keep you shaded and sheltered.
Categorised in: Awning Company